Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sue Scheff: Why Teens Have Sex

Whether you have had an opportunity to watch 16 and Pregnant or Teen Moms, there is one common thread that weaves through these shows:  Teenage girls seem to believe having a baby will keep their boyfriend or having a baby will give them someone to love them unconditionally.

Every day, more than 2,000 teen girls in the United States get pregnant. In fact, 3 in 10 girls will become pregnant by age 20. Not having sex is the only sure way to avoid pregnancy, though there are a lot of other good reasons to wait, too. But if you're having sex, you must use birth control carefully and correctly every single time you do.- Stay Teen

Teens and sex is a growing subject that has more resources and information than ever before.  Educating parents, teachers and teenagers is a commitment everyone needs to have.  Stay Teen is one of several valuable websites that offers a vast amount of information about having sex and/or considering having sex.
One common question is, "why'd you do it?"  Here are some of answers from Stay Teen:
  • I'm curious - I want to experiment/ get experience.
  • I just want to get this first time out of the way.
  • Sex is no big deal. Everyone is doing it.
  • Every one of my friends has had sex - I'm the only hold out. I feel like a wierdo.
  • The popular kids in my school are the ones who have sex - I want to fit in with them.
  • My partner really wants me to do it - he/ she says that it'll bring us closer together/ prove my love/ show my commitment.
  • There's nothing to do in this town but have sex.
  • I won't really know how compatible we are until we've had sex.
  • My parents are so controlling and strict - they'd freak out if they knew I was having sex.
  • We've already had sex once - I can't very well say no now.
  • It's just a "friends-with-benefits" thing - what's the big deal?

Think you might not be ready yet? Check out the Waiting page for more.  Visit www.stayteen.org for more educational information.

In South Florida, Planned Parenthood can help you educate your teens on sex and if they are considering have it.  Teen Talk is targeted at discussing sex education and protection with your teens.
Be an educated parent, you will have safer and healthier teens.

Read more.