Thursday, February 16, 2012

Teen Help: Internet Fact verses Internet Fiction

What to believe on the Internet?
Aha! You found the most beautiful teen help program.  The website is beautiful with lush mountains, healthy animals, happy teens, all well staffed and a campus that seems perfect to help your troubled teen.... but is it real or is it the static of the Internet?

I don't know.

One thing about the Internet we all do know, is Google is not God.  It is very difficult to know what is real and what isn't.  Which is why I created my organization over a decade ago.

You see, I was scammed by that "static" website.  I was further scammed by the many toll free numbers and slick sales reps that convinced me I needed helped and fast.  In my defense (though I was still stupid looking back) the Internet was not as sophisticated as it is today - so parents today do have many more resources to determine what is real and what is not.

I do encourage parents to learn from my mistakes.  A quick version of my story (which the program sued me to try to get me to remove from the Internet and lost) - www.aparentstruestory.com - will give you an idea of how not to get scammed online.

My story was published by Health Communications Inc, (home of Chicken Soup for Soul book series) in a effort to help parents with struggling teens.

Do you need a free consultation.... still confused... visit www.helpyourteens.com.