Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sue Scheff: What is your 12 year old doing?


Lane Sutton, also known as KidCritic, is not your average 12 year old. He created his own website critiquing movies, restaurants, books, activities and more as well as taken on Twitter by storm.


Learn about this amazing kid! I was honored to interview him and hopefully covered the questions people wanted to know. Someday we are going to hear big things about this young entrepeneur.


1. How old were you when you started using the computer and when did you decide to create your own website?


I have been using the computer since I was five years old when I had ran my own newspaper that was circulated to family members and friends for a couple years. I have been reading since I was three years old. On December 29, 2008 I came up with an idea to run a website where I can use my entrepreneurial expertise and writing skills as well as computer, design and code skills to create the website posting reviews. I worked very diligently to get the site up and running for a grand opening on January 1, 2009 when it was opened to the public!

2. What inspired you to create a review website of books, restaurants and movies?

There is so much to review which makes creating a critique website so interesting because I love finding new places to go and things to do but I also wanted to make a website that kids and families can visit for ideas of the latest hotspots in town or even movies and books.


3. Where do you get your ideas from?


Great question! I search around for places, sometimes I get book review requests as well as video games and iPhone applications I am offered to review. Some of it is on the spot spontaneous. I’ll explore the area and if I find a place that I like then I’ll review it. I watch the movie trailers and previews to get an idea of the newly released movies. Visiting a bookstore and just browsing is another great way but when people come up to me and ask if I will review their book, I like that because most of the books, I would never have found which makes it much more interesting.


4. Do you work alone or do you have others that help you with reviews or website content?


I work solo, the website is a one man production, I own, operate, write and control all aspects of the business including promoting and making connections.

5. What do your friends and family think of your young success?


People are amazed at my work and always wonder what I will be when I grow up. They are very proud of me and I could not have done it without their help and support. It is my site visitors, Twitter friends and my connections that help make it such a success. I love getting compliments and the great feedback from visitors.


6. You are considered the “12 Year Old Wonder Kid” on Twitter, how do you feel about that?


I love it! I feel so honored to have my own Twitter name! I like being called it.


7. What are your plans for the future?


My dream is to become the next Donald Trump, he is my idol. There is so much I want to do in life and my goal is to accomplish most of it, I do want to be a writer for a newspaper. Starting early is the best thing to do because you will have more experience.

8. Do you have other hobbies outside of technology?


Writing is my passion, I like art and am very creative. I enjoy doing business and am a great salesman! I am known for my good sales! Other than that, I am a techie! I write for our school newspaper, E-Zine and am on the Yearbook Club. I like acting too and participate in the school plays.


9. What motivates you?


I met a young adult writer for the Boston Globe, I was inspired by him and the articles that he wrote. I got to meet him and we were pen pals for a while, I liked asking him questions about his writing. I also had a tour of the Metrowest News (my local newspaper) and I was amazed by that, it was so interesting to have an insider tour of what goes on in a newsroom!
10. Do you have anything more you would like to add?


Thank you for reading and check out my website, http://kidcriticusa.com/ for reviews by a kid, for kids and families on movies, books, activities, restaurants and more. You can also follow me on Twitter at @KidCriticUSA to tweet with me!


Do you have questions for Lane? Contact him directly through his website.


There you go, my interview with the incredible Wonder Kid, also known as KidCritic and to his parents, he is simply known as Lane! Lane is going places – we all need to try to keep up with him!


Also on Examiner.com